Saturday 8 July 2017

dancing with Brenda and on to York




It's all been a bit of a crazy whirl since my last blog.  After Cornwall I went to Bexhill for a week - the town where I grew up.  Then a dance day with Anne Armstrong and on to Brenda Kelly's dancing and singing holiday in Ilkley, Yorkshire.  Ilkley is a very pretty place which I would like to see more of.  The dancing was fabulous.  I didn't do much of the singing as I found the harmony stuff a bit too challenging.  I didn't get around to taking many photos, as I was too busy - dancing, organising flowers for the dance centres, and teaching a few dances.  A busy but most enjoyable, fun few days.

From there I got the train on to York, where the camera has had a real workout.  Oh what a great place to visit.  It just oozes history.  It is also teaming with visitors from all over the world.


I went on a 3 hour historical walking tour of the city, which was a great way to start.   Our guide was an amazing history buff who brought it all to life.  If only I could remember all that he told us. 
I do remember that this is a Roman wall in the background.








view from my room at the airbnb, looking out to the city walls

The organ at York Minster.  I went to the evening service there to hear the choir.


This street is called The Shambles.  A Shambles was originally a place where meat or fish was sold.  The lower section in the centre of the street was where the waste was thrown.   This slowly drained downhill to the end of the road, where the local dogs would eat it.  A right old mess.  And that is where the expression come from, when you say something is a 'shambles'.
                                                                             


only in England would you queue to get in a tea shop.  The crowd over the road was waiting for tables in the famous Betty's tea room

                                                                                                                                                             




on the river
York is full of laneways and snickelways and wonderful names


No comments:

Post a Comment