Tuesday 2 May 2017

Time out in Ross-on-Wye and the Malverns

My overnight stay in Ross-on-Wye was excellent.  The airbnb was run by a delightful, independent young woman.  The accommodation was in an extremely old building, up above a shop in the centre of town.  My host had all sorts of arty bits and pieces around. Really quirky and individual.
Up on the mezzanine floor, in the reading nook, with a glass wall overlooking the lounge below..














 Ross-on-Wye main street.

Banner in St Mary's Church.  The hedgehog is the emblem of the town.  The town looks out over the ancient kingdom of Ergyng.  The a
Anglo-Saxons called it Archenfield (Land of Hedgehogs) although no-one could tell me why.

Still in Ross-on-Wye.  This little garden patio was a tea-shop. Pot of tea and cake went down a treat.







I picked up my hire car in Ross-on-Wye and headed to the Malvern Hills for my house sit in Cradley and the luxuries of a hot bath, central heating and a washing machine.  This is the view from the back of the house, across their pretty garden, to the hills beyond.

Driving on narrow winding country roads has taken a bit of getting used to, and in the small towns there is a lot of manoeuvring to be done.
                                                                                                                                           One of the women I danced with in Wales told me about a fortnightly dance group in Malvern, so I went along there and danced with them.  Also had the opportunity to teach them my dances 'Jerusalem' and 'Greeting The Day'.  Had lunch afterwards and they showed me the local handkerchief tree.  Not fake, this is real growth.









Brenda came up on the train from Sussex and stayed with me for a couple of days.  We had a good time, went out and about a bit, and also worked on a new choreography together.  She has some new music from Pink Martini that she is very taken with.


I liked the art piece at the local railway station, a dress made from old train tickets.





Hanging out with Elgar, who was born in Malvern.  It may be May, but I still haven't got out of my warm clothes yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment